Sunday, July 12, 2020

Missive


     It is so wonderful to be celebrating Holy Mass with a congregation for a seventh weekend now, especially after a first full week of regularly scheduled daily Masses with the people.  I am blessed!  It has also been nice to see more people venturing out each week.  I do understand there are those who are still concerned about being out and about; that is why Bishop Callahan is continuing to set aside the obligation to attend Mass on the weekend.
     I think it is important to let people know that we are understanding of the range of sensitivities with coming back to Sunday Mass.  One of these is the concern around singing at Mass.  I have said that, speaking as a music teacher, I don’t think the average person sings any louder at Mass than they talk; in fact, often considerably less so.  I’ve also thought however that I shouldn’t say that too much since our parishes do a better job than average of singing out – so said my dear father anyway, the last time he was in attendance at a 10:00 Sunday Mass.  That being the case there is no singing at our 4:00 Saturday evening Mass at Sacred Heart.  I hope this will give those with a sensitivity towards this a feeling of welcome and understanding.
     Another issue that has come to my attention is “how do I know when I should come back to Mass?”  This can be difficult to discern, I get it.  But, it is made quite a bit easier when we understand our motivation for coming to Mass in the first place.  Do I go to Mass because I have to?  Because it’s part of being a good Catholic?  On the other hand, what would make me not go to Mass?  Am I not going to Mass because I fear getting the Corona Virus (or the flu, etc., etc.)?  Of course, that would probably mean I’m not going anywhere else during the week unless absolutely necessary either.  Am I missing Mass because the bishop said I didn’t have to go?  Maybe I’ve gotten used to not going?
     Please know, I’m not trying to guilt anyone.  I am bringing to mind some considerations though as we all try to understand when we should be coming back to Mass and why.  WHY?  Yes, why.  Why do I go to Mass?  I hope the answer to that question is precisely what we’ve been talking about for the last four months: Because Holy Mass is where Jesus Christ, Whom I love above all things, makes Himself present to us in the Most Blessed Sacrament of the Eucharist; and it is there that I can then praise, thank, and glorify the Father most perfectly because I am doing so through Him.  God be with all as we try to discern His will for us in these matters.
     “May Christ our Lord help us all with His bountiful grace, so that we may know His holy will and perfectly fulfill it.” (St. Ignatius of Loyola)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcomed! But be charitable. Trolls will be exorcised from this com box!