Monday, September 21, 2020

Fr. James Altman and Forming Our Conscience

I have been very interested during this past week to hear the comments coming from my parishioners about Fr. James Altman’s YouTube videos.  Some have been rather enthralled with both the message and the style; most have been in near total agreement with what he has had to say.  I have to admit my good friend has caused me to do some soul searching myself about how I address the issues of politics and Catholic politicians, as well as many other "hot button" topics.  Many have asked me what I thought, and I have said that I agree with about 98% of what he had to say.  What don’t I agree with?  Well, I know there are still some pro-life Democrats, though the party throwing one of these out a couple of weeks ago because of his pro-life views is not reassuring.  I also would not put climate change near the top of my list of things to address from the pulpit.  

But make no mistake!  I absolutely have a problem with Catholics who put their politics before their covenant fidelity to God and to their neighbor; and I count former Vice-President Biden among these, as well as Nancy Pelosi and others.  I also believe, along with Fr. Altman, that their souls are in very serious danger.

I have spoken out regularly, in bulletin articles, my Facebook page, this blog, and from the pulpit about the duties of Catholics – including their duties as faithful citizens and electors.  I can’t imagine there is much of a secret about where I stand personally and as a pastor.  Some of you have written to me privately to express your views and a couple of you have even questioned whether you can belong to a Church that puts such boundaries on your freedom of thought and action.  Indeed, I saw a letter to the editor of our regional paper today from a former parishioner who said given the choice between his Church and his Party, he chooses his Party!  Dear Lord!!!  

I’m certain that some in my parishes would say I don’t challenge my parishioners straight forwardly enough.  Indeed, St. John Vianney is said to have remarked: a priest who is not threatened with lynching when he comes out of the pulpit is not doing his job.  To this I would remind that shepherds (in ancient Israel and in Israel today)  lead their sheep by "singing" to them and literally leading them - they walk in front and the sheep follow.  Sometimes a sheep will try to wander off and then the shepherd has to go after the wayward one and encourage, sometimes with a serious poke, that one to return to the flock.  I try to follow this model.  Moreover, I take my task of saving souls (my only REAL job) very seriously; and I recognize that what works at St. James is not necessarily the best tack to take in the Tri-Parishes.  So I, and Deacon Sam, work hard at convincing, sometimes cajoling, or even shocking, but always proposing and inviting as Jesus did.

If you have been watching Fr. Altman's YouTube videos, I hope you will take to heart what he has to say and will further form your conscience with, among other things, the quadrennial statement of the U.S. bishops - Faithful Citizenship, as well as other statements of our own bishop and bishops like Archbishop Alexander Sample (Portland, Oregon), Archbishop Salvatore Cordileone (San Francisco), Bishop Thomas Paprocki (Springfield, Illinois), and other bishops noted for their fidelity as opposed to those who continuously soft-pedal the Gospel in an attempt to "charm" the political class and the culture, to be "relevant", or to be on the right side of history.  Far better that we be on the right side of God, Who has been very clear in His revelation what is expected, and what covenant fidelity looks like. 

We must, each of us, take responsibility for what our candidates promise and do. If they are promising things which are contrary to our Catholic faith, such as promoting abortion, taking away our religious liberties if they run afoul of the “wisdom of the age”, or if they are treating immigrants and others in distress in a way that actively diminishes their human dignity, then we have a serious duty to consider whether we can, in fact, vote for that person in good conscience. We also have a duty, regardless of who wins, to let them know how we feel about these issues when they come up in policy discussions and especially when they come up for a vote. 

We will be held accountable by God at our final judgment for our part in these things. Therefore, we must avoid the temptations of financial, personal, or agenda driven self-interest; keeping in mind the cornerstones of Catholic social teaching: the Dignity of the Human Person, the Common Good, the principle of Subsidiarity, and the principle of Solidarity; and take them with utmost seriousness as we form our conscience and prepare to vote.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcomed! But be charitable. Trolls will be exorcised from this com box!