Sunday, November 13, 2022

On Living the Vocation to Holiness - 13 November 2022

A social media posting from another church caught my eye the other day which referred to a children’s activity which was called “stamp out indulgences”.  Given the real and scandalous abuses that were occurring in the time leading up to the so-called “reformation”, I understood where the activity was coming from.  However, I’ll admit that my reaction was one of sadness.  Why would one want to stamp out indulgences?

I should begin with defining what is meant by an “indulgence”.  According to the dictionary, an indulgence is “an extension in the time in which a bill or a debt has to be paid”; it is also “the state or the attitude of being indulgent or tolerant.”  The Catholic understanding of an “indulgence” is: “The remission before God of the temporal punishment due to sin whose guilt has already been forgiven.” (Catechism of the Catholic Church – Glossary).

As I said, given the historical baggage attached to indulgences, I get that it can become a target; however, given our knowledge of the imperfect love we have for God and for one another, why would anybody pass up the chance for the forgiveness of the debt due for our sins?  This column doesn’t give near enough space for a full discussion of the ‘ins-and-outs’ of indulgences; so, I would encourage all to take a look at paragraphs 1471 – 1479 of the Catechism of the Catholic Church.  Here one can get a fuller understanding of the basics involved in the “why” and the “how” of it.

I would say, in the context of this column, that I am personally very grateful that God gives us the opportunity, through these grants of the Church, to be perfected in love.  Understanding the double consequence of sin (CCC paragraph 1472), I know that while Christ has paid the price of my sins and provided forgiveness through his sacrifice on the Cross, I still have my part to do in setting things aright with regards to the disorder I have introduced into creation through my sins.  I am most grateful that my brothers and sisters, both in this life and in the hereafter (Purgatory & Heaven) can assist me in this through their prayers on my behalf.

I am also grateful that the Church helps me recognize through the granting of indulgences that the things our Holy Mother invites us to do each day are a natural part of this healing that comes to creation and to ourselves – prayer, study of Scripture and the Catechism, works of charity, etc.

God is indeed good; and indulgences are simply another sign of that goodness, that love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcomed! But be charitable. Trolls will be exorcised from this com box!