Monday, September 30, 2024

Ss. Michael, Gabriel, Raphael - Archangels (Sept.29)

While today (Sept.29) is the 26th Sunday of Ordinary Time, it is also the Feast of the Archangels: Michael, Gabriel, & Raphael - formerly known as "Michaelmass" as each of the three had their own feasts on the calendar before the reforms of the late 1960's.  While the feast is not celebrated liturgically this year (Mass / Office of the Hours), it is kept in our hearts all the same.

I wrote, several weeks ago, about why I continue to lead the assembly in the Prayer to St. Michael at the end of our holy Masses.  I will only reiterate that when we consider how we are going out from holy Mass into a world filled with temptations, seductions, and other pitfalls, it is good and right that we enlist the assistance of so strong a defender before we go out into that battle.  Offering that prayer also reminds me that I am, indeed, going out to engage in battle; first of all: in battle against my own weaknesses, and then: “against the wickedness and snares of the devil”.

Participating in the “St. Michael’s Lent”, a Franciscan practice of entering into a “little Lent” for the 45 days before the Feast of the Archangels, I have also come to a greater appreciation for recourse to St. Raphael, “God’s remedy (healing)”.  Those taking part in this exercise through the Exodus 90 app have been reading through the book of Tobit, in which Raphael appears and plays a major role.  As I continue laying the groundwork for a healing ministry in the north-west region of the diocese, I turn more and more to St. Raphael.  I share with you a Prayer to St. Raphael:

Glorious Archangel St. Raphael, great prince of the heavenly court, you are illustrious for your gifts of wisdom and grace.  You are a guide of those who journey by land or sea or air, consoler of the afflicted, and refuge of sinners.  I beg you, assist me in all my needs and in all the sufferings of this life, as once you helped the young Tobias on his travels.  Because you are the medicine sent by God, I humbly pray you to heal the many infirmities of my soul and the ills that afflict my body.  I especially ask of you the favor of ____________ and the great grace of purity to prepare me to be the temple of the Holy Spirit.  St. Raphael, of the glorious seven who stand before the throne of Him who lives and reigns, angel of health, the Lord has filled your hand with balm from heaven to soothe and cure our pains.  Heal or cure the victims of disease and guide our steps when doubtful of our ways. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcomed! But be charitable. Trolls will be exorcised from this com box!