Thursday, August 27, 2020

Christifidelis Laici 59 & 60

Last week we recognized the need for formation in this life of being a disciple of Christ on mission.  In sections 59 & 60 this week, we are called by our Holy Father of blessed memory, Pope St. John Paul II, to recognize the need for a formation which prepares us for an integrated life of witness.  He points out that there cannot be a so-called spiritual life separated from our civil life or everyday life.  We have been created by God to live ONE life in which we live in Him and through Him, but we live that life in the garden in which He has set us.
 
Recognizing this reality of being children of God living in the world, we must be formed so that living in the world we act as agents of God in every aspect of our life.  This reality has been touched on before, but now we recognize that this doesn’t come about simply by desiring it; we must seek to be formed so that these good ideas become habitual ways of living on the way to becoming the virtues which give witness to the difference between a life lived with God in it, and a life lived for love of God and our neighbor.  The former is dipping our toe in the “Christian pool” and it won’t lead to salvation; the latter is the communion of life and love God created us for – and lived in this life it becomes a life eternally lived in glory.  So…
    1.  Does my cultivation of the spiritual life simply mean saying my prayers at meal-time or whenever else I’m in need? -or- Do I cultivate a spiritual life which is focused on coming into a deeper relationship, an intimate communion with God?
    2.  Do I seek to know what the Church teaches about the various aspects of human activity?  That is, am I attentive to the social, political, and other moral teachings of the Church?  -or- Do I treat these as the mere ramblings of one special interest group in society among so many others that I might choose?
    3.  Do I find myself negotiating between my faith and the things of this world that are before me? -worse yet- Do I separate my faith from my business, politics, and other aspects of daily life?
Challenge:  Keep track of the situations you confront and the decisions you are called to make this week.  Know what the Church teaches about that area of life and bring it to prayer before you act.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcomed! But be charitable. Trolls will be exorcised from this com box!