Tuesday, March 24, 2020

March 25: The Feast of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary

 This has always been one of my favorite feasts.  This comes from the fact that my home parish is dedicated to Our Lady's Annunciation.  It also comes from the fact that this mystery has been such an important part of my spirituality.  In the Annunciation we see the mystery of the Incarnation begun; we also see the most definitive example aside from our Lord's own example of the stance we should all take before God when asked to accept and cooperate with His holy Will.
     Of course, this example she has given comes from a particularly important virtue - humility.  This is why the virtue of humility is traditionally attached to this first of the Joyful Mysteries of the Rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
     One thing I have come to understand in my life, both in my own spiritual pilgrimage and in those I have been called to serve as pastor, confessor, and spiritual director, is both the importance and the difficulty in mastering this particular virtue.  As the Apostle says: "I do not do the good that I want" (cf. Romans 7:19).
     We have all found ourselves in this situation.  We know what we ought to do, how we ought to respond, but we don't.  We continue to be presented, daily, with opportunities to practice, refine, and perfect this virtue.  Sometimes we succeed, sometimes (often?) we do not.  And so, what to do?
     It seems to me that we continue trying.  But beware!  We mustn't continue using only our own resources.  Elsewhere Paul tells us of the "thorn of the flesh...an angel of Satan to beat me" which continues to bedevil him.  (cf. 2 Corinthians 12:8)  What is God's answer to his thrice repeated request that this thorn be removed?  "My grace is enough for you", and our Lord Himself tells the disciples, "this kind [of demon] can only come out through prayer" (cf. Mark 9:14-29).
     So we practice, but we refine and perfect through prayer; especially through our prayer and contemplation of this lovely and often under rated mystery of the Annunciation.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcomed! But be charitable. Trolls will be exorcised from this com box!